Who is Scotty Boman?
I was born on the East side, and I have been a Detroit resident for most of my life. Most of the years I have spent in Detroit have been in the region that is now the 4th District. I have been a continuous life-long resident of Michigan.
Professionally, I have been an educator for over 20 years. Currently, I work as a physics and math professor at Wayne County Community College, and as an astronomy and physics instructor at Macomb Community College. I also substitute teach in a few local school districts, including schools in Detroit.
I received my B.S. from Western Michigan University in 1985, with a double major in Physics and Philosophy and a minor in Mathematics. I earned an M.A. in Physics from Western two years later, and an additional graduate degree from Wayne State University in 1999.
This is not my first time running for office. I have been a candidate for a variety of positions, including my 2013 campaign for City Clerk and my 1996 effort to be elected to the Detroit City Council in which I received an endorsement from the Detroit News.
I may be a frequent candidate, but I am not waiting to win a city-wide election to get involved:
- I am a current member and former Vice President of the MEC neighborhood patrol.
- I have been a member at large of the Morningside Community organization since 2013.
- I was on the 2013 AFT-2000 election committee, and remain an AFT member in good standing.
- I was elected to the Wayne State University Student Council in 1999.
I also volunteer for local actions for community improvement including the Motor City Makeover and Angels night.
* Note: MorningSide does not endorse any candidates, and none is implied here.